In this edition: dog yawns, superhero journalists, and babies named for hurricanes.
* A visual history of alchemy and transmutations.
* The debased behavior of penguins finally comes to light. (Choice quote: “…these birds, like men, degenerate in idleness.”)
* Dogs yawn in response to their owners’ yawns.
* The unintended consequences of the CIA’s polio vaccine cover story.
* The challenges of landing on Mars, via an incredible video from NASA.
* Superhero journalists do not have a super sense of ethics.
* The robot that cannot lose at rock-paper-scissors.
* Authorities shut down 9-year-old’s blog on school lunch.
* Bots publish books composed solely of YouTube comments.
* Deborah Blum reminds us that “naturally occurring chemistry can be just as wicked as anything we dream up in a laboratory.”
* Why we accidentally name babies for hurricanes.
* Stunning anatomical illustrations of turtle anatomy. (Seriously, check them out.)
* Autism researchers need more brains to study.