Bleachgate: More Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS) Madness

UPDATE: See list at end of post for accumulating links.

This is the case of industrial bleach promoted as a cure for all diseases. (I kid you not.) For those of you using the product and coming to this post via search terms, stop using MMS and consult a health care professional – in the United States, consumers and health care professionals should report adverse events to the FDA’s MedWatch program at 800-FDA-1088 or online at www.fda.gov/medwatch/report.htm

Quick story: A 15-year-old British Crohn’s disease patient, Rhys Morgan, calls out the fallacy on a patient support forum last month and is banned, then files a video blog about the incident. The story is elegantly and forcefully picked up by Martin Robbins at The Guardian. Jo Brodie points us this morning to coverage at the Online Journalism Blog and we are encouraged to raise awareness about the subject.

Why? This product is still on the market and still being promoted by users and sellers.

In late July, I posted on the US Food and Drug Administration releasing a consumer warning about a product called Miracle Mineral Solution (or Miracle Mineral Supplement) – known as MMS either way.  (The irony is not lost on me that the acronym is the same as for the experimental mutagen, methyl methanesulfonate, used widely by geneticists in the laboratory.)

The key paragraph from the FDA warning:

The product instructs consumers to mix the 28 percent sodium chlorite solution with an acid such as citrus juice. This mixture produces chlorine dioxide, a potent bleach used for stripping textiles and industrial water treatment. High oral doses of this bleach, such as those recommended in the labeling, can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and symptoms of severe dehydration.

Yes. Industrial bleach.

Remarkably, the website is still live – probably because it does not directly sell the product – with claims of the product as a panacea: “The answer to AIDS, hepatitis A,B and C, malaria, herpes, TB, most cancer and many more of mankind’s worse diseases.” As I posted earlier, the product website contains the most egregious and disturbing claims I’ve seen in fifteen or so years of following supplements:

This Breakthrough can save your life, or the life of a loved one.
Please read.

The answer to AIDS, hepatitis A,B and C, malaria, herpes, TB, most cancer and many more of mankind’s worse diseases has been found. Many diseases are now easily controlled. More that 75,000 disease victims have been included in the field tests in Africa. Scientific clinical trials have been conducted in a prison in the country of Malawi, East Africa.

Separate tests conducted by the Malawi government produced identical 99% cure results. Over 60% of the AIDS victims that were treated in Uganda were well in 3 days, with 98% well within one month. More than 90% of the malaria victims were well in 4 to 8 hours. Dozens of other diseases were successfully treated and can be controlled with this new mineral supplement. It also works with colds, flu, pneumonia, sore throats, warts, mouth sores, and even abscessed teeth (it’s the only thing that controls and cures abscessed teeth).

The inventor believes that this information is too important to the world that any one person or any group should have control. The free e-book download on this site gives complete details of this discovery. Please help make sure that it gets to the world free. There are many medical facts that have been suppressed and this invention must not be added to that list. The name of the e-book is The Miracle Mineral Supplement of the 21st Century. This book tells the story of the discovery, and how to make and use it. This book can save your life. Give it a try.

I don’t know where to begin. This madness has to stop.

Why is this product still being sold worldwide?

Why are consumers so protective and defensive about their “right” to use this product?

The best advice for those of us in the blogosphere is to link to The Guardian story with the term Miracle Mineral Solution or Solutions. From a journalism standpoint, I also like Paul Bradshaw’s addendum at the bottom of his post at Online Journalism Blog:

What deserves particular attention is how the Guardian reporter Martin Robbins is responding to critical comments – providing further details of how the forum dealt with his approaches, and addressing conspiracy theorists. This is journalism that gets out there and engages with the issue rather than simply broadcasting. Wonderful.

Here’s more information from various sites.

• Bleachgate, “Miracle Mineral Supplement,” and Quack Marketing – Liz Ditz (I Speak of Dreams)
  • The man who encourages the sick and dying to drink industrial bleach – Martin Robbins – The Guardian
  • Martin’s follow-up post at his Guardian blog, The Lay Scientist
  • Rhys Morgan’s video and text adaption of his experience at CrohnsForum.com last month.
  • Related post on current (“Was July just a good month for stupid poisoning attempts?”) and historical bleach poisoning cases by fellow PLoS blogger and author Deborah Blum whose most recent book, The Poisoner’s Handbook, is required reading for anyone interested in chemistry, forensic science, mystery, or just plain world-class writing.
  • The Kenyan newspaper, The Nation, featured an article by Gatonye Gathura and a follow-up Sunday editorial as MMS promoter, Jim Humble, claims to have treated as many as 100,000 African patients for malaria, up to 75,000 in Kenya and Uganda alone. Both pieces note that Humble did not register the product with the government and introduced it under the guise of an international Christian group.
  • Alice Bell takes a very insightful look at the case of Rhys Morgan in the broader scope of UK efforts to educate young people on how to evaluate claims to scientific authority

That’s why, for me the tale of Rhys Morgan and Miracle Mineral Solutions isn’t just a story for or about skeptics. It’s a genuinely interesting, concerning and illuminating story of inter-generational health communication in a digital age, and one I’d have love to see talked about more.

• Here are two link round-ups from blogger, Noodlemaz, beginning in August. She deserves an award for having the patience in her 12 August post to go one-by-one through Humble’s contemptible claims.
This entry was posted in Blogging community, Dietary Supplements. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Bleachgate: More Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS) Madness

1. Pingback: The answer to AIDS, hepatitis A,B and C, malaria, herpes, TB, most cancer and many more of mankind’s worse diseases | Coffee and Sci(ence)

2. Pingback: Miracle Mineral Solutions « through the looking glass

3. Pingback: Quick Links | A Blog Around The Clock

4. Pingback: Bleachgate: UK and Kenyan press raising awareness of Miracle Mineral Solution | Terra Sigillata

5. Pingback: Bleachgate link roundup: 2nd and last « Purely a figment of your imagination

6. Marianne says:

Thank you for the link! Patience, perhaps… I went to bed far too late that night. Mostly shock/disgust and irritation, to be honest. Glad this is spreading around more now – kudos to Rhys!

7. Travis Saunders, MSc, CEP says:

Thanks for pointing this out, David! Not surprisingly, a quick check finds MMS on a number of “natural” weight loss sites as well – I’ll spread the word on our site tomorrow.

Travis

8. antipodean says:

Somebody in the UK please give Rhys a job when he’s old enough.

9. Ian Musgrave says:

G’Day Abel

I’ve alerted our local toxicological society to this, the Australian Therapeutic Goods Advertisement Complaints panel has pulled at least one add for the MMS, but people can still sell it.

I will start seeing what I can do here in OZ.

10. mangrist says:

It seems to me that these elixirs are always accompanied by a conspiracy theory narrative: “The powers that be don’t want you to have this.”

11. Pingback: Bleach: Not a cure for obesity | Obesity Panacea

12. Ryan S says:

This may not be the time or the place to ask this question, but it is bleach related. I have severe psoriasis and I keep hearing about bleach baths. Ive heard that some Dermatologists even recommend them but I’m skeptical. Has anyone heard anything?

13. Pingback: Bleachgate: Teen Takes on Dangerous "Miracle Solution"

14. Pingback: Bleachgate: Teen Takes on Dangerous "Miracle Solution" | Health Care Bill Blog

15. David / Abel says:

Thanks for following me over here, Perfesser! Indeed, people can still sell it here in the States, for now, but our regulatory folks can only direct consumers not to use it.

16. David Kroll says:

Ryan, there are scant published reports on very dilute bleach (sodium hypochlorite) baths for atopic dermatitis to prevent Staphlococcal infections (not to address the inflammation) but nothing on psoriasis. In the one published report I’ve found in Pediatrics for atopic dermatitis, the bleach is extremely dilute – 0.5 cup household bleach (which is 6% sodium hypochlorite) in 40 gallons of bath water. Check with your dermatologist if there are new data I’m not aware of.

17. David Kroll says:

I am flabbergasted by what appears to be Jim Humble’s response to the FDA action here:

It ends with a sales pitch to join his church and train to become one of his “Minsters of Health.” Holy moly.

18. Brie Cadman says:

Fascinating story. I think consumers should be taught to run when they hear the phrase “miracle cure.” No such thing, for the most part.

I’ve posted the story with a link to the Guardian article, as suggested, over at my health blog at change.org. One thing I’m curious about: has the FDA banned sales of the product or are they just doing voluntary recall?

Brie

19. Pingback: Wednesday Round Up #121 | Neuroanthropology

20. cat says:

You people are fools. It works.

21. Jonathan says:

I am confused. If something is used in factories, and is sometimes is called a “bleach”— does this mean that it cannot be used as medicine?

“Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is an oxidizer commonly used as a bleach. It is a clear liquid, slightly more viscous than water, that appears colorless in dilute solution. It is used as a disinfectant, antiseptic, oxidizer, and in rocketry as a propellant.[2] The oxidizing capacity of hydrogen peroxide is so strong that it is considered a highly reactive oxygen species.” — wikipedia

I also have read that many common drugs are mildly poisonous, i.e. they have an adverse effect on the liver. It makes sense to me that if MMS is no worse than these drugs, why not let it be?

I understand the concern I am would never take a product if I thought it was dangerous for me to do so. The word “bleach” is very scary, because what we normally call “bleach” is a deadly form of it. So maybe this has “bleach” properties, and in industrial settings, highly concentrated forms are used to strip materials. But I guess the same could be said of many highly concentrated compounds, that we normally consider safe.

I hope this all gets clarified soon, and I look forward to hearing the bottom line about MMS. I believe that we are all looking for the truth, and it seems like the healthiest way to approach this discussion is with love and understanding.

Be well! (with or without MMS :-) )

22. Jacob says:

I guess you guys approve fluroide in tap water,plus mercury in flu shots,and spraying of barium in the sky, if the product MMS was scam ( it is not as I have using it with results) no FDA would ever care about it, my kids are now autistic because government immunization program,the drug companies make billions with selling toxic medicines, they are scared shitless of mms ,if mms was legally introduced into stores big drug companies may have to pack they bags goodbye,they are poisoning us with crap in food and toxic tap water,
    as for FDA they are fucking corrupt organization financed by drug firms as most of government institutions in US ,

23. Jacob says:

You are idiot, this stuff saves lives and you want to do something about that? Why can’t you go to our Australian government and ask them why we have amongs others toxins fluroide in our tap water.?

24. Very nice post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wished to mention that I’ve truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing for your feed and I hope you write again soon!

25. matt says:

call it what you want… if people like me want to put it in their bodies, they do it at their own risk. to make it illegal is to say that you know the truth about this stuff, and you don’t. there is not much evidence against this stuff, granted there is a case here and there. there is plenty of evidence that this stuff works, you people just don’t want to see it. good luck suckin at big pharmas butthole. that’ll be a nice desert with all that mcdonalds.

26. matt says:

travis, you buy what this uneducated dumbass has to say, without questioning him at all. that makes you the biggest dumbass of all. good luck with all that dumb shit.

27. matt says:

david, you want to tell people what to put in their bodies, goto fucking mars, cuz here on earth we don’t tell each other what to do, unless they’re our children. i hope to god you aren’t breeding.

28. elisa says:

I totally agree!! Their all driven by greed MONEY MONEY!!!

29. matt says:

this is matt… again. since i posted that last comment, my trials with MMS have ended.

the stuff made me constipated and sick. my farts smelled like chlorine.

i emailed jim humble back and forth asking for definitive evidence that this stuff was not harmful. the man is not a scientist. not even close.

i also had a long conversation through email with adam abraham. he really defended the stuff without any real evidence or regard to safety for those that ingest this stuff. i asked him if he takes it and he told me he does NOT.

neither jim nor adam take the stuff. being that they are the biggest proponents of it, i would advise anyone that isnt already dying to avoid it. the science just isn’t there.

30. Brad says:

Wow, true to scientist and lots of left brain freaks, your desire to control is unmatched

good luck with your scare campaign, and your ego growth

31. Brad says:

even if FDA robots choose to outlaw it?? it can still be made at home so, have at it i say!

32. Zak says:

David Kroll,

You either work for big pharma as a disinfo agent, or you are a closeminded idiot. First off, MMS does work, very well. I use it. Theres a reason why millions of people use it and still use it, despite the world wide disinfo campaign to scare people using it. Second, negative reactions like fatigue, nausea, etc are due to a herxheimer reaction (look it up), which you will get using any detox product in enough quantities (zeolite, iodine, etc). And despite these reactions, no one has died from it, which is more than I can say for vaccines and drugs (of which hundreds of thousands die a year). And third, its no ones damn business what I or anyone else choose to put into our bodies or do with our lives if we aren’t hurting anyone else. If you want to poison yourself with fluoride water, vaccines, mcdonalds cheeseburgers, or anything else, that is your right as a free human being. And its my right to use something cheap and effective like MMS.

33. David Kroll says:

I’m neither, Zak. There is no reason to use MMS.

Perhaps. But in this country, it’s illegal to label anything as useful for treating a disease without full evaluation and approval as a drug. Anecdotes, no matter how convincing, do not equate into clinical data. Sorry, that’s the society you’ve bought into by being born with U.S. citizenship.