In this edition: racism and mental illness, a former president’s veganism, and sleeping ostriches.
* Upbringing influences behavior. Plant behavior.
* The trouble with twin studies.
* Holy chicken fried steak! President Bill Clinton is a vegan.
* What scientists can learn from studying “sightings” of mysterious monsters, from Nessie to Yeti.
* The BBC commissions an independent review of its science coverage.
* “Why the CIA’s decision to use a fake vaccination program in the hunt for Osama Bin Laden … is such an appallingly, idiotically bad idea.”
* Never lose again: the psychology of Rock, Paper, Scissors.
* Convinced your body is made entirely of glass? You may be suffering from the glass delusion.
* Imaging the brain from deep within the uncanny valley.
* All you ever wanted to know about ostrich sleep.
* Why the “common sense” objection dogs sociology.
* Carl Zimmer’s belly button plays host to a wonderland of life.
* An app for doctors is loaded with drug ads.
* Inside China’s horrific tiger trade.