In this week’s edition: city size and happiness, pollution-detecting clothing, and the science behind the boiling-water-into-snow trick.
* Swimming in shark-infested waters? 1. Why? 2. Don’t wear a yellow swimsuit.
* “How Much Pain is Our Kid Feeling? Well, How Much Can We Afford?”
* Using Google to graph the popularity of scientific terms through the years.
* Are shrinking cities necessarily unhappy cities?
* From ScienceOnline 2011: thoughts on blogging as a woman.
* Why did the wildlife cross the newly designed bridge over the road?
* A gym that makes you pay when you skip working out.
* John Rennie will lead the revolution. (His semi-hypothetical challenge: Refrain from writing about new peer-reviewed papers until 6 months after they’ve been published.)
* If a hipster wears this pollution-detecting t-shirt, is it ironic?
* Thanks to the NRA, we have very little research on gun violence.
* TED is launching a series of short, e-book singles.
Image: Big Think/David Berreby