In this week’s edition: Why Ricky Gervais is an atheist, how Freud used his dog in analysis, and the birth of “sugarwashing.”
* Awesome story of the week: Guy creates an iPhone app that can help color-blind people see color.
* John Rennie tackles a question I’d never thought to ask: Why don’t animals photosynthesize, anyway?
* Why Ricky Gervais is an atheist. Funny? Not really. A great read, anyway? Definitely.
* Eight-year-old students publish a scientific paper in a peer-reviewed paper. (The colored-pencil drawings are adorable, which is I word I don’t think I’ve ever used before to describe a peer-reviewed paper.)
* The way Freud used his dog during analysis makes me think he was even crazier than we know.
* Decline effect, schmecline effect: Let’s hear it for scientific error!
* Got some extra electronics parts? Build a city skyline.
* Some female wild chimps have been observed cradling sticks as though they were babies–or baby dolls.
* Ladies and gentlemen, may I present: sugarwashing!