In this week’s edition: bacteria that do sudoku, the Ikea Effect, and bioengineering better astronauts.
* Brian Switek is sick to death of seeing naked dinosaurs. (To be fair, Donald Duck doesn’t wear pants, either.)
* This Japanese vending machine knows what you want to drink before you do.
* The gown ties in the back, Mr. President.
* Jonah Lehrer on the Ikea Effect and why you should make your own dinner.
* “Hi, I secretly write your students’ essays.”
* Cassandra Willyard snaps adorable photos of an embryonic moss piglet and a baby sea urchin.
* Craig Venter wants NASA to bioengineer better astronauts.
* Speaking of the right stuff: What does it take to become the first robot astronaut?
*Slate has a fascinating slideshow about the lifespans of various species.
* How getting a gastric bypass can influence the birth weight of a woman’s future children.
* Can a non-social animal–in particular, a red footed tortoise–follow an eyegaze?
* How to win elections by changing a belief in god.