In this week’s edition: a vending machine that sells live crabs, flatworm penis fencing, and a journalist embedded with neuroscientists.
* I hope that “Dumb Science News Headlines of the Week” becomes a regular feature.
* Stephen Colbert discusses Chinese vending machines that sell live crabs.
|The Colbert Report||Mon – Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c|
|Craziest F#?king Thing I’ve Ever Heard – Crab Vending Machines|
* Speaking of crabs: Wondering whether you have an STD? There’s an app for that.
* Searching for patterns in catastrophic sports injuries.
* The HIV babies of the early ’90s come of age:
* How did I not know about flatworm penis fencing?
* Can we teach our kids “proactive empathy” with babies?
* Ben Goldacre issues forth on the perils of neuro-realism.
* What does Breast Cancer Awareness month really accomplish?
* Forget Iraq. This journalist is embedded among an army of neuroscientists.
* Cerebrum lists the best books about the brain.
* Meet the doctor responsible for organizing medical care for the marathon-ing hordes.
* While others in her generation become People 2.0, Zadie Smith embraces being Person 1.0.