In this week’s edition: an elephant custody battle, candy scholarship, and a choir of electric fish.
* Steve Silberman provides insights into a “minority within a minority:” Aspergirls
* As rising sea levels swallow an island, its last house sinks into the ocean.
* Which adjectives get modified by which expletives? A graphical guide by xkcd.
* A custody battle erupts–over an elephant.
* A great new blog, The Open Notebook, explores the stories behind the science stories.
* Matchmaking site pairs those with industrial waste with those who might be able to use it.
* Yes, but are they rent-controlled? Scientists build condos for penguins.
* The physics of one father’s life, in pictures.
* New York Times ombudsman discusses the difficulties of covering science in newspapers, where no footnotes are allowed.
* John Allen Paulos explores the differences between the storytelling culture and the statistical one.
* Electric fish join the choir.
The Small Wonders: Oct. 29, 2010 by Wonderland, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.