In this week’s edition: little hipsters, maggot art, and detecting fraud via Facebook.
* It’s a scanning electron microscope image of an ant! Holding a microchip! Holy cow!
* Hipsters, you’re not so sophisticated: Research shows that even young kids can make some sense of irony.
* A squirrel takes on the Slinky one man has used to squirrel-proof his bird feeder. (Note: You may want to watch this with the sound off–the commentary is super annoying.)
* Trying to figure out who the movie’s villain is? Probably the guy who lives in a modernist home.
* Maggot art is the new finger painting.
* Since it’s almost Halloween, here’s a terrifying story of science blog haunted by ads.
* Christopher Hitchens explores the dark streets of Tumortown.
*The folks at OkCupid have released their analysis of gay vs. straight online daters.
*The government uses Facebook to investigate fraud.
* If I ever fall mysteriously ill, I want Abraham Verghese to be my doctor.
* Butterfly, heal thyself.
* The best environmental photos of the year are in, and some of them are stunners.