DENVER, Colorado – October 10, 2011 – An 80-year-old woman was hospitalized Sunday after carbon monoxide seeped into her home from an old heater. Levels of the gas were so high that firefighters had to
In the fall of 1923, an out-of-work painter in New York City named Harry Freindlich took out a $1,000 life insurance policy on his 28-year-old wife Leah and then smothered her in bed. It’s not
Afterdamp – [n] – a toxic mixture of gases (including carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide and nitrogen) after an explosion of firedamp in a mine. There was hope, following last Friday’s explosion at a coal
BOSTON, Mass – October 1, 2010 – Boston firefighters evacuated a high-rise apartment building this morning after high levels of carbon monoxide seeped into the building from a basement boiler that was being taken apart.
In the winter of 1933, the empty store stayed dark all day, dusty wooden crates piled high behind the windows. But if you lived close by, you knew that the door opened at night and
There it was, the sound of an engine, that low steady grumble. The little girls heard it – they were just 11 and 12 – and they told the mother. You parked the car in