Wednesday Round Up #123

This week we go top picks, health, anthropology, new media, and mind. The new media part has some good stuff!

The cartoon is done by Kim Warp. You can find out about Warp and two more funny cartoons in this profile. Warp’s cartoons regularly appear in The New Yorker and she is also featured in the New Yorker’s compilation books, Funny Ladies: The New Yorker’s Greatest Women Cartoonists.

Top of the List

Jules Burstein, Mother California: Essential Prison Reading
A story of redemption behind bars. But even better, a realistic view of the proven factors for reducing recidivism: (1) enhanced visiting to build family ties, (2) higher education, and (3) drug and alcohol treatment

Mark Changizi, The Moving Look of Music: What Your Visual System Thinks Music Is
Music in motion – auditory and visual systems interact with our own musical creations

Sadeq Rahimi, Subjectivity, Political, and Medical Anthropology: The 2010 Marett Lecture by Professor Byron J. Good
A great video and paper from Byron Good, the esteemed Harvard professor who integrates anthropology and psychiatry

Suzy Freeman-Greene, A Brain Strained by Sexism
A fantastic profile of Cordelia Fine, author of Delusions of Gender. Well worth the read.

Adam Waytz, Psychology beyond the Brain
The heart makes a comeback – and a larger view for how the body plays a role in emotional and social life.

Lance Gravlee, Open Position for Postdoctoral Associate
Looking for a post-doc in medical anthropology? Like studying social inequalities in health? Want a great mentor and cutting-edge researcher? This could be for you!

TED, David Gallo Shows Underwater Astonishments
Times Square’s neon lights underwater – displays from fish who live in the blackest depths of the ocean.

Felix Larocca, Die Young, Live Fast: The Evolution of An Underclass
Here you can get the full essay from New Scientist, which combines evolutionary and social analysis together

Vaughan Bell, The Murder Club
Murder most social

Maia Szalavitz, 30 Years After the Phony Heroin Addict Article, the Media Still Blows It on Drugs
The media’s coverage of addiction hasn’t improved much – it’s still about perpetuating myths

Francesca Rheannon, Natalie Goldberg and Ann Armbrecht
Tips on writing, and more, in this interview with a writer and an anthropologist

Alan Leshner, How Science Museums Are Promoting Civil Religion-Science Dialogue
The head of AAAS talks about evolution/creationism debates, and how scientists can better engage the public

Health

NPR, Is Race Really Linked to Hypertension
Lance Gravlee on NPR!!!

Tobert Phillips and Angela Glover Blackwell, Addressing Health Disparities of Boys and Men of Color
Over on Tavis Smiley, a look at “how communities either foster or limit the life chances that young people have”

Nancy Krieger, The Science and Epidemiology of Racism and Health in the United States: An Ecosocial Perspective
A keynote address by Nancy Krieger, a social epidemiologist. In this pdf, she explains how racism harms health.

Plos Medicine Editors, The Drug Companies Should be Held More Accountable for Their Human Rights Responsibilities
The title says it all – a powerful argument for corporate responsibility

Donald Barr, Science as Superstition: Selecting Medical Students
Science grades don’t make the grade. A good medical student is more than pre-med success

Jenny Gross, SA to Research Mood-Lifting Plant
South African plant that reduces stress, relieves hunger, sedates and elevates moods.

Anthropology

Brian McKenna, Muckrake Your Town
Journalists as peoples’ anthropologists!

Ryan Anderson, Inefficient Assumptions
Why economist Maxine Udall matters – it’s the concentration of power, stupid!

The Globe and Mail, Diversity: Yes in My Back Yard
Explore which countries are most and least accepting of diversity in different forms.

Bradley Kreit, How Our Bodies are Becoming Social
Genes becoming social, culture shaping genes

Rachel Kaufman,Urban Foragers Cropping Up in U.S.
Hunter gatherers in the cities! You can also see a video of them in action. Or read about workshops for the new chicken enthusiasts.

Peter Forbes, The Artificial Ape: How Technology Changed the Course of Human Evolution by Timothy Taylor
A broad overview of some current research, summarized in a new book

Geoff M Smith, Modern Men and Ancient Myths
It was the baby sling, baby! Yes, I am imagining Austin Powers saying that…

Brian Switek, Darwinius Strikes Back
A great post that covers what we know about this early primate fossil

Christine Dell Amore, Photo in the News: Mummies’ Fake Toes Could Be First Prosthetics
Pushing back the history of prosthetics

Marc Kaufman, Anthropologists Adopt a More Favorable View of Neanderthals
Nice profile of the work by Julien Riel-Salvatore, where Neanderthals are shown to have human traits and technologies before contact with H. sapiens sapiens. In a related piece, you get Neanderthals had deep sense of compassion, new study suggests

New Media

Sara Kjelberg, I Am A Blogging Researcher: Motivations for Blogging in a Scholarly Context
“the blog serves as a creative catalyst in the work of the researchers” and more!

Darren Logan et al., Ten Simple Rules for Editing Wikipedia
Great advice on how to add your own two-cents to the great online encyclopedia

Danah Boyd, White Flight in Networked Publics? How Race and Class Shaped American Teen Engagement with MySpace and Facebook
Social media get the race and class treatment, along with ideas about suburban flight and our uses of social media

Carla Casilli, The Battle Between Personal Algorithms and Social Software
Racial divides in social media? Not so quick.

Greg Lastowka, Virtual Justice
A new book, Virtual Justice: The New Laws of Online Worlds, which shows how “virtual worlds offer private alternatives to standard legal ordering”

Scitable, Student Voices: A Blog About Science by Students for Students
Nature Education’s science blogs – great to see this!

Mehga Sehgdev, The Social Networking Company
Fun 1950s style ads for some very modern companies!

Robert Wright, Zuckerberg: Non-Evil Non-Genius?
How Facebook dominated the world, the short version. Positive network externalities and mutual-consent links…

David Roman, How to Save Science Journalism
A wide ranging address, but with an emphasis on the internet and finding good stories

Ruth Braunstein, Lessons Learned from Academic Blogging
The Immanent Frame on the profits and perils of academics who blog, but oddly the summary points come across as more about how blogging doesn’t help tenure

Katherine Bourzac, Tapping the Powers of Persuasion
B.J Fogg, director of the Persuasive Technology Laboratory, explains his research

Tim Adams, Twitter and Facebook Cannot Change the Real World, says Malcolm Gladwell
Nice review of the blow-up over Gladwell’s piece over at the Guardian

Iris Jastram, The Age of Big Access
It’s not the age of Google, it’s the age of pay-walls: a librarian’s view of what is really happening with access to scholarly research

Mind

Pascale Michelon, Are Mentally Stimulating Activities Good or Bad for the Brain? The True Story
Sharp Brains provides an insightful view of what research is actually saying about the brain training phenomenon

Garth Sundem, Is Brain Training Real?
Some great advice on what “brain training” actually requires

Christian Jarett, Cross-cultural Reflections on the Mirror Self-Recognition Test
How culture can shape responses – we assume people do experiments just like we do. Not so!

Natasha Mitchell, Nature Deficit Disorder? The Mind in Urban Combat
Nature: “An older, larger world separate from parents”. Real nice radio show from All in the Mind

Virginia Hughes, Stress Factors
Social vs. non-socal stress in rats, and what that can reveal about PTSD and other stress-related illnesses

The Neurocritic, Is There Any Evidence for the “Porn-Addicted Brain”?
What do you mean, there’s no peer-reviewed work on this topic?! What is science coming to…

CBC News, Dentists Discover Secret of Narwhal’s Tusk
“more than 10 million tiny nerve connections tunnel their way from the tusk’s core to its outer surface”

Jason Goldman, What is ADHD? Paradigm Shifts in Psychopathology
Great piece at Child’s Play – placing ADHD in historical perspective

The Museum of Scientifically Accurate Fabric Brain Art
This link has been popping up plenty – but just in case you haven’t seen it, well worth a visit!

Stephanie Pappas, Don’t Worry: Happiness Levels Not Set in Stone
Longitudinal research on levels of happiness, which shows variation over time

Neuroskeptic, The Prefrontal Cortex Is Holistic
The prefrontal cortex as non-modular, and how neuroimaging doesn’t always get that

Carl Zimmer, Monkeys in the Mirror and the Nature of Science
Self awareness in monkeys, and scientists’ comments on how that sort of research is actually done

Dr. J, Details, Details,
This philosopher take Zimmer to task for using Kant lightly! A great commentary, and also great that Zimmer tweeted everyone about this critique

Shirley S. Wang, Why So Many People Can’t Make Decisions
Ambivalence, and how it affects people’s lives

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Creative Commons License
The Wednesday Round Up #123 by Neuroanthropology, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

This entry was posted in Round Up. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Wednesday Round Up #123

1. Paul Mason says:

Always something golden in your roundups, Daniel! Thanks!
    That link to Mark Changizi’s work is gold! With my interest in choreomusicology, I’ll be chasing up that stuff with a keen appetite.

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)