- Photo September 23, 2014
- "Rather than justice for all, we are evolving into a system of justice for those who can afford it." September 21, 2014“"Rather than justice for all, we are evolving into a system of justice for those who can afford it."” - Joseph E. Stiglitz
- It’s not me, it’s you - from NCDFREE. September 21, 2014It’s not me, it’s you - from NCDFREE.
- “We can’t match their money, so we have to work in the currency... September 21, 2014“We can’t match their money, so we have to work in the currency of movements — passion, spirit, creativity and bodies”.
- "If countries are serious about combating NCDs, an exponential increase in the scale and scope of..." September 12, 2014“If countries are serious about combating NCDs, an exponential increase in the scale and scope of these measures is needed to incentivize the production, trade, and consumption of healthy food… and to ensure a whole-of-government approach to public health.” - Helen Clark, UNDP
- Photo September 12, 2014
- "It is only by discussing and questioning the inequalities in society - that we will find solutions..." August 29, 2014“It is only by discussing and questioning the inequalities in society - that we will find solutions to overcome them.”
- Social Inequality: is the elephant in the room strangling us all? August 28, 2014Social Inequality: is the elephant in the room strangling us all?: Social, economic inequality is on the rise - and represents a threat to our nation’s fabric.
- Photo August 26, 2014
- "Standing up for something - could be worth it in the end." July 31, 2014“Standing up for something - could be worth it in the end.”
- Pretty much sums it up…! July 28, 2014Pretty much sums it up…!
- NCDFREE in the media: "Bootcamp for health advocacy change makers" July 14, 2014NCDFREE in the media: "Bootcamp for health advocacy change makers"
- Photo July 11, 2014
- "The fact that NCDs have overtaken infectious diseases as the world’s leading cause of morbidity and..." July 11, 2014“The fact that NCDs have overtaken infectious diseases as the world’s leading cause of morbidity and mortality has profound consequences. This is a seismic shift that calls for sweeping changes in the very mindset of public health.” - DG Chan, WHO
- Video July 8, 2014
- Photo July 7, 2014
- "I am driven by different metrics. We must look beyond the fiscal, to the fulfilling, the fair. Then,..." July 3, 2014““I am driven by different metrics. We must look beyond the fiscal, to the fulfilling, the fair. Then, and only then, will we realise transformative change.””
- Video July 3, 2014
- Photo July 3, 2014
- "Knowledge is power. Knowledge will bring transformative change." July 2, 2014“Knowledge is power. Knowledge will bring transformative change.”
What is Translational Global Health?
Translational Global Health facilitates the translation of findings from basic science to practical applications in Global Health practice and, thus, meaningful health outcomes for diverse populations and societies.
Translational Global Health is an independent blog on the PLOS BLOGS Network, focusing on the field, concepts and challenges of Global Health. Dr Alessandro Demaio and his team of regular guest bloggers bring honest, pragmatic discussion – with a special interest in Non-Communicable Disease and Global Health 2.0.
About the Bloggers
Lead Blogger Dr Alessandro Demaio is an Australian Medical Doctor with a Masters in Public Health and a PhD in Global Health. Since 2013, Sandro has been a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Harvard Global Equity Initiative, Harvard Medical School and an Assistant Professor at the Copenhagen School of Global Health. He is also Co-Founder of NCDFREE.
Sandro is joined by a sensational team of Guest Bloggers from around the globe.
Global Health & Classical Music, Imperial College London
Research Fellow, Harvard University
Assistant Clinical Professor of Emergency Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Dr Duncan Matheka
Medical Doctor & Health Advocate
Dr Fred Hersch
MD & Research Fellow, The George Institute for Global Health
Dr Fiona Lander
Lawyer & MD
Health Economist, PricewaterhouseCoopers London
Dr Jenny Jamieson
MD & Humanitarian Specialist, Médecins Sans Frontières
Dr Jeremy Schwartz
MD at Yale School of Medicine; Yale Equity Research and Innovation Center
Policy Specialist, World Health Organization (Euro)
Dr Kremlin Wickramasinghe
Medical Doctor & Researcher in NCD Epidemiology, University of Oxford
Global Health and Economics, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and the London School of Economics
Director of Global Health Communications, American Cancer Society
Global Health and Nutrition Researcher, Menzies Centre for Health Policy, University of Sydney
Nutritionist & Coordinator, Eminence Bangladesh
Dr Sundeep Kishore, PhD
Chair, Advisory Council, Young Professionals Chronic Disease Network
Global Health and Population, Harvard School of Public Health and Harvard Global Equity Initiative; World Bank Consultant.