In this week’s edition: the wet dog shake, putting hamburger lore to the test, and the strange case(s) of the phantom penis.
* Video of the week: Physicists tackle a vital question: What is the optimal speed at which a dog should shake to get dry?
* Are athletes reaching the limits of what’s physically possible?
* What’s in placebos? Good question.
* My new favorite job? Ape actor.
* Why are our hospitals going bankrupt?
* Different cultures give rise to different kinds of robots.
* Apparently, there’s quite a history of phantom penises in the medical literature.
* Building a bridge to orangutan love (or at least sex).
* Chicago schoolkids can’t eat the produce that they’re growing.
Small Wonders: Oct. 22, 2010 by PLOS Blogs Network, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.